Monday, August 24, 2009

I think Im Gonna Madethong...

Madeth, she's simply beautiful... a scene to behold...She is a close friend and cousin... Her father was my father's cousin... We both lived on the same farm somewhere south of Manila. We were neighbors; we share the same set of friends. She belongs to a family of seven, her father Kuya Ompong, Ate Lindsay is her Mother she also has twin sisters (Madelyn & Madeline) and two younger brothers (Mark & Lark), she's the third sibling. Unfortunately Madeline died at a very young age due to polio... Her family was a happy one, though there really comes a time that NAGGING from parents will occur, (I think that happens to any family...)

MADETH was three months younger than me... I was born March 1983, while she was born May 1983... But we were never classmates, I was ahead of her by one year because I went to school (Kindergarten) at the age of five (during those years grade 1 pupils starts at the age of 7). Her older sister was my classmate, Madelyn.

Nevertheless, after school we never missed a chance to play whatever game we wanted to play, together with our common friends... TAGUAN, BAHAYBAHAYAN, LANGIT LUPA, PIKO, SIKYO, PATINTERO, SOFTBALL, Chinese Garter, Step no Step Yes, 10-20, Jackstones... I think we played all the games that our young minds could imagine... Every afternoon was filled with excitement; we played, laughed & perspired with much sweat all afternoon, till our parents call for the dinner....

Jane, also a cousin, formed our gang... He was our default leader, Me, Madeth & Madelyn... She composed a song especially for all of us... In the tune of BYE BYE LOVE by the Everly Brothers

Bye Bye JANE,
Bye Bye Cloudy
Hello Madelyn,
I think Im Gonna Madethong...

hehehe... Brings back lots of memories when I sing that... We called her Madethong because she possesses a wide "NOO" (Forehead). Malapad daw NOO nya...

Our Misadventures:
1. Going through thick forests (wide grasses for adults) and then when we think were lost... BALIKTARIN DAMIT AT NAEENGKANTO TAYO!!!
2. The RIVER PARADISE - With crystal clear water, elegant flowery plants around and gemlike stones... all would say... this is PARADISE…
3. BANDA NG MGA LATA - we even formed a marching band with cans as instrument especially during NEW YEARS EVE...

Those were just few of hundreds of adventures & Misadventures I shared with them...
WHEN we entered high school, our communication lessened... I studied on a different school, but still during Saturdays & Sundays, we still have the time to talk... playing games lessened... adolescence period is coming... Still we share the same dream... the dream to finish our studies and help our parents, earn money, have a family so on and so forth... usual dreams of a young adult... I graduated from high school and so was she...

I Studied in CAVIte, she in our hometown...

Every week I have the opportunity to go home, talk to her, sharing experiences and reminiscing memories of the past...

THE MOMENT THAT I WILL NEVER FORGET...
I was in my 2nd yearin college while she was on her First (BS EDUCATION), It was during the District Athletic Meet that was held at our town plaza... I went with her to watch the games... What I cannot explain was that she was gloomy, her face was lonely and her Appearance seems kinda creepy... so I told her, MADETH GUSTO MO PALAMIG, LIBRE KITA... So I bought some drinks for her and we watched the game, clapping and enjoying (I Think)... after some time I said goodbye to her because it was time for me to leave...

THAT WAS THE LAST TIME I SAW HER...
WHY?... came the call of my father, he was very gloomy, I still can recall the tone of his voice, very eerie, and still gives me goose bumps... CLOUD ,SI MADETH PATAY NA... it was the most painful call that I ever had... that’s why sometimes I hate answering the phone, im really afraid that someone on the other end of the line will give me bad news... I hate it when it happens...

Shocked, puzzled... that’s what I felt. I even was waiting for my father to say, JOKE LANG! - But it wasn’t... I really cried a lot because she was very precious... Striving to study that will make her dreams come true... I went home to give my last respects to her and her family... She was there inside the coffin; eyes closed... stiches on her face...

ANO NANGYARI?... I asked...
She was MURDERED... Her last day on earth was not an ordinary day for her... She asked her parents to stay on her friends place for the night... And her parents approved... She even brought extra clothes for the night out... but the inevitable happened... she told her college friends that she wanted to go home, tired or something of that nature... she wanted to go home and rest... Before going home she even bought some food for the weekend for her family... (she opted to walk her way home, instead of riding a tricycle ). She was walking ALONE and then some person came from nowhere, THE MAN TRIED TO RAPE HER... but MADETH refused to give in and started to fight, she was a very strong spirited woman, a fighter on her own right, thus she struggled to break free from her demonized abductor... and then... (SOB, SOb, SOB) a sharp object ended her life... blood spilled on the virgin soil below the MANGO tree...

I really cried a lot during her burial... i was devastated, this was not true... i thought this only happens in TELENOBELAs or In MOVIES... but this was real... Her family was really down during that time. I realized I haven’t said her how much I enjoyed the times we were together, our playtimes, the sharing of crushes, bonding time, singing sessions, party tripping. Have I said Thank you to her, no. Have I said how much I love and treasure her in my life, no. Its all but too late.

It took me a while to cope up with the devastating and traumatic experience, i think same goes to our old childhood gang members... unfortunately the case filed against the DEMON was dismissed, i don’t know why or what happened, can’t believe this DAMN country’s justice system…

The last dream I remember that includes her... she was dressed in white, smiling... as per her mother, she needs prayers and that we will give... that was almost 8 years ago, but her 18 years of journey on this cruel world will be remembered as a happy and an inspiring one specially for her loved ones (INCLUDING ME!)...

MADETH... a testament, she never gave her body to anyone... STRONG WILLED, WITTY, INTELLIGENT, LOVING DAUGHTER, SISTER, FRIEND... YOU WILL ALWAYS BE MADETHONG TO ME... I still remember you, im looking forward to seeing you again. thank you really for the wonderful friendship that we shared when we were young, youre always in my heart. Its been 8 years and im still heartbroken, still crying because of the sense of losing you. I miss & I Love you so much!

Bye Bye Jane,
Bye Bye Cloudy
Hello Madelyn,
I think Im Gonna Madethong...




---

im still a work on progress, i guess.

(a repost)

4 comments:

  1. hay nakakainis ka naman eh.. lunes na lunes, pinapaiyak mo ako.. :( miss ko na madethong naten.. :( sobra..

    it's actually:
    Bye Bye Jane
    Bye Bye Cloudy
    Hello Rodalyn
    I think I'm gonna Madethong..

    hay, i miss her sooooo much! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. i changed our names except for Madeth (in her honor),insan for discretion.

    naiyak nga rin ako ulet.

    =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. sad naman nangyari sa kanya. wala pa justice.

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. xtian, oo nga eh, pero justice will be served not by man but by the Almighty.

    =)

    ReplyDelete